In 1906, before the connecting of Smíchov to Prague (1920), the representatives of the separate town of Smíchov decided to build the National House. They planned it as one of the dominant buildings of the main square of Smíchov (today‘s nám. 14. října), on the site of the original botanical garden, which was destroyed by the flood in 1890. The representative Art Nouveau building is one of the important realizations of Mr. Alois Čenský, Czech architect and professor Czech Civil Engineering in Prague, regarded as a representative of the Czech Neo-Renaissance and Art Nouveau, and among others the author of the Vinohrady Theater.
The construction of the National House in Smíchov took place in 1906-1908. The building originally had two restaurants, a bowling alley with electric bowling, a café, a billiard room, a chess and a reading club. There were also two large halls (today the Grand Hall and the Arbes Hall), the federal and also the residential areas. The decoration was also attended by an important Prague sculptor and medal Josef Pekárek, from whose there are remarkable sculptures on the building and figural fillings above the large hall; interior sculptures and ornamental decoration is the work of the sculptor Antonín Mára and the decoration was also largely contributed by the painter Ladislav Novák.
In the 1950s, an engineering trade union building was built by the House of Culture of the Metal Industry (DKK). Temporary repairs without uniform design have caused considerable devastation of the building. At the end of the 90’s, the building underwent a complete reconstruction, where it was restored with many Art Nouveau elements and stylish equipment, including replicas of original columns with illumination, copies of Art Nouveau chandeliers and Art Nouveau furniture.
In 1960s was open in the basement The Futurum, one of the first bigbeat clubs in Prague. Since the beginning of the operation there have been various important social events and dance courses, where the leading Prague dance masters (Dr. Josef Chrastil, Petr Inek, Dr. Jiří Plamínek) were taught.
This cultural stand is one of the five largest cultural houses in Prague with its capacity for social events.